Kubuntu and other KDE distribution's use of KDE infrastructure

Valorie Zimmerman valorie.zimmerman at gmail.com
Sun Jan 8 08:02:06 GMT 2017

I'm writing at the request of the sysadmins, who would like to hear
from the community about distributions' use of KDE infra.

I'm part of the Kubuntu community and will use it as the example I know best.

Kubuntu has some KDE wiki pages, found at
https://community.kde.org/Kubuntu - for which we are very grateful.
Ubuntu has a wiki we used to use, but between the awfulness of
MoinMoin and the spam attacks on it, we love being at home at the KDE
wikis.

For some time we've been using notes.kde.org as well, and are planning
how to use share.kde.org now that notes is closing down. We'll need to
set up a Kubuntu group so that all Kubuntu team members who need
access can actually access the shares. One of the advantages of using
KDE infra over piratepad or so, is that we can add a password if
necessary, and share among other KDE packagers if necessary.

We are also interested in having a Phab instance for Kubuntu mostly
for the todo/workboard. Right now, we're using Trello, but would
prefer to use Free software if possible. And the beauty of Phabricator
is that we can keep more of our "stuff" in one place. For instance, it
includes a wiki as well, which we might use for packaging
documentation. Very slick to have all our packaging stuff in one
place.

However, the sysadmins would like the KDE community support for this,
since it could be seen as a "slippery slope." In addition, Ben
Cooksley said, "we'll need to come up with some guidelines surrounding
what distributions can ask us for, given the Manifesto / KDE Project
rules.

I would love to see more KDE distros getting cozy with the KDE
community because I don't like to see fighting between packagers and
developers, and communication is key.

Our Manifesto [1] says: Being part of the international KDE community
conveys certain benefits: ....Make use of KDE infrastructure for
project hosting. I've noticed that some KDE projects do not use KDE
infra, such as bugzilla, websites, and even mail lists. I thought the
rule was that all KDE projects would move to KDE infra, so this
surprised me.

On the other hand, groups which are associated with the community but
will never be "KDE projects" such as KDE distros, are not mentioned in
the Manifesto. We do already host the KDE Packagers list [2], and
Distributions list [3] which supports the Distribution Outreach
Program [4].

What do you say? Obviously we want to support KDE distributions. Where
do we draw the line?

Valorie

1. https://manifesto.kde.org/benefits.html
4. https://dot.kde.org/2016/03/03/announcing-kde-communitys-distribution-outreach-program