GCi ending; Google Summer of Code preparations

Valorie Zimmerman valorie.zimmerman at gmail.com
Sat Jan 7 22:18:33 GMT 2017

Hello folks,

Last fall, some of us attended the GSoC Mentor Summit, and one of the
things we asked for was more time between the beginning of the contest
to "Coding begins." It looks like we got our wish. I just looked at
the timeline, which says:

* January 19 16:00 UTC Mentoring organizations can begin submitting
applications to Google

* February 9 16:00 UTC Mentoring organization application deadline

* February 10 - 26 Google program administrators review organization
applications

* February 27 16:00 UTC List of accepted mentoring organizations published

* February 27 - March 20 Potential student participants discuss
application ideas with mentoring organizations

* March 20 16:00 UTC Student application period opens

* April 3 16:00 UTC Student application deadline

*May 4 16:00 UTC Accepted student proposals announced
Community Bonding Period Students get to know mentors, read
documentation, get up to speed to begin working on their projects

*May 30 Coding officially begins!

So now is the time to begin discussions within your team about ideas
you would like to publish as a guide to students you want as GSoC
students. While you're doing that, take note of ideas of how to test
or otherwise evaluate possible students. We intend to be more strict
this year about accepting students and mentors in an effort to improve
our success rate even more.

What a great start to the year!

Valorie

--