[kde-community] Results from the Mission Survey

Heiko Tietze tietze.heiko at googlemail.com
Wed Sep 28 07:52:36 BST 2016

> We seemed to be reaching consensus on the updated draft, but at the
> end of the hour some severe doubts were voiced. The product teams have
> some visions, and the doubt seemed to be that those visions and
> mission statements were going to be over-ridden.
>
> So in my opinion, we need to gather those vision and mission
> statements, and see what the common elements are.
>
> The feeling in the room was (I think) between shock on one side, and a
> feeling that "my thoughts have finally been given a voice."

Without any report and no stating the various positions it leaves the
rest of us in the void. The summary sounds to me like we do neither
have a common vision anymore nor a mission. And there are no actual
plans to overcome this unpleasant status. Hopefully I'm wrong ;-)

> Therefore, we are now trying to find out whether the general direction that
> the draft is going into makes sense.
> Input on that is of course welcome!

I think this thread shows clearly the interest in this topic. And what
you wrote makes perfect sense to me. We could for instance have a
generic mission like

* create software products which give users control, freedom and privacy

which is specified in the projects as

* KMail let the user control all aspects of communication from privacy
at the transmission to the freedom how the UI is being used

Perhaps it helps to have mandatory as well as supplementary mission
statements. For example, "provide a seamless user experience" may not
be the first interest of every project. But actually I have no idea
what of the mission statements could be a matter of discussion. Okay,
"reach as many users as possible" perhaps (kidding a bit, I understand
the goal of this statement).

Cheers,
Heiko