[kde-community] Results from the Mission Survey

Thomas Pfeiffer thomas.pfeiffer at kde.org
Sun Aug 21 21:55:04 BST 2016

On 21.08.2016 22:17, Alexander Neundorf wrote:
> On Monday 01 August 2016 12:05:25 Thomas Pfeiffer wrote:
>> On 01.08.2016 11:20, Martin Steigerwald wrote:
>>> Thank you for doing this.
>>>
>>> I am baffled by the extreme coherence between answers of contributors and
>>> of users. Seems like a perfect match.
>> Indeed, I was equally surprised by that. It is true, though (I've just
>> re-checked the data to be 100% sure).
>> If someone says "KDE has lost touch with their userbase", we can confidently
>> say "No, we haven't, look at that
>> survey we just did!". At least judging from our attitudes. To the extent
>> that our actions match our attitudes,
>> we should be all lined up with what our users want.
>> Our users should like a Mission Statement derived from these results, then
>> :)
>
> just arrived back home. :-)
> That's actually a very similar issue to what I have at work: while following
> wishes from existing users certainly makes those happier, but is this actually
> the right way if you want to reach people who are not yet using this software
> ? (serious question, not rhetoric)
>
> Alex

Doing what current users want just because they want it is a way which is unlikely
to lead to long-term success. However, the community came to similar preferences
as the users without knowing what preferences the users have.

If I were to decide, I'd have set different preferences, but setting a Mission which
the community does not agree with is not useful in a volunteer-driven community.
If all most contributors want to focus on desktop Linux, I can say that KDE should
focus on mobile all day, without any effect.