Cleaning up mailing lists?

Ben Cooksley bcooksley at kde.org
Thu Aug 11 10:17:38 BST 2016

On Thu, Aug 11, 2016 at 1:40 AM, R.Harish Navnit <harishnavnit at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Wed, Aug 10, 2016 at 6:22 PM, Thomas Pfeiffer <thomas.pfeiffer at kde.org>
> wrote:
>>
>> Hi everyone,
>> recently I went through lists.kde.org and saw that there are lots of lists
>> there for some short-term projects in the past, or for projects which have
>> long since been abandoned.
>> Given that it probably doesn't give a good impression if someone
>> subscribes to one of those lists only to notice that nothing has happened
>> there for years, would it perhaps make sense to clean up our mailing lists,
>> killing those that are not used anymore?

Hi Thomas,

> Yes it does. But could you please tell which ones you're talking about ?
>
> Also worth noting here, is that a project not seeing much development
> doesn't automatically equate to a project with no users and the mailing
> lists are the easiest way for a user to reach out for support.
> But of course, if you know of any obvious cases then it totally makes sense
> to clean them up.

Are you referring to the marc.info listing of mailing lists, or the
mail.kde.org/mailman/listinfo/ page here?
Note that some of the items on the marc.info list will have been
closed long ago.

In any event the standard practice for closing a list is to ask on the
list itself if anyone has any objections to it being closed.
If none are raised in two weeks, a Sysadmin ticket can then be filed
asking for the list to be closed.

> heers,
> Harish

Thanks,