[kde-community] Changes to mailing list behaviour

Ben Cooksley bcooksley at kde.org
Wed Aug 3 08:51:42 BST 2016

On Wed, Aug 3, 2016 at 4:55 AM, Ingo Klöcker <kloecker at kde.org> wrote:
> On Tuesday 02 August 2016 22:49:18 Ben Cooksley wrote:
>> Hi all,
>>
>> Just a heads up on an upcoming change.
>>
>> As mentioned in an earlier thread, we'll need to change a series of
>> settings on our mailing lists in order to maximise compatibility with
>> mail providers which have enabled DMARC for their domains.
>>
>> Any changes the mailing list makes to an email, such as to the
>> subject, mail body or certain headers (which varies from provider to
>> provider) can cause breakage of DKIM signatures, and therefore a DMARC
>> validation failure.
>>
>> Validation failures can result in messages being bounced or bulk
>> (spam) foldered by recipients of messages, and likely harms the
>> reputation of KDE.org mail infrastructure as well (impacting
>> deliverability for all email). By altering messages and causing these
>> failures, we effectively exclude people from our community simply
>> because of decisions taken by their mail provider.
>>
>> We'll therefore be disabling stripping of any attachments or html
>> bodies, modification of mail subjects, and removing any mail headers
>> or footers which the list is adding into any mails. This will be made
>> globally across all lists on kde.org infrastructure some time in the
>> next week or two.
>
> Please provide a list of all mailman settings you are going to change. I
> guess at least the following settings will be changed:
> subject_prefix -> <empty>
> msg_header -> <empty>
> msg_footer -> <empty>
> scrub_nondigest -> No
> filter_content -> No
>
> What other settings are you going to change?

The above, as well as turning first_strip_reply_to to No.
This was listed in an earlier mail I sent to the list.

> What about the Reply-To header munging related settings? Is Reply-To
> protected by DKIM signatures?
>
> What about include_sender_header ("Should the Sender header be rewritten
> for this mailing list to avoid stray bounces? Yes is recommended.")?

Both Reply-To and Sender headers can, depending on the provider and
mail client in use be included within the email and DKIM signed.
We'll need to observe how DMARC compliance goes on our lists with
various domains before deciding on what to do here.

> Regards,
> Ingo

Regards,
Ben