[kde-community] Changes to mailing list behaviour

Ingo Klöcker kloecker at kde.org
Tue Aug 2 17:55:00 BST 2016

On Tuesday 02 August 2016 22:49:18 Ben Cooksley wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> Just a heads up on an upcoming change.
>
> As mentioned in an earlier thread, we'll need to change a series of
> settings on our mailing lists in order to maximise compatibility with
> mail providers which have enabled DMARC for their domains.
>
> Any changes the mailing list makes to an email, such as to the
> subject, mail body or certain headers (which varies from provider to
> provider) can cause breakage of DKIM signatures, and therefore a DMARC
> validation failure.
>
> Validation failures can result in messages being bounced or bulk
> (spam) foldered by recipients of messages, and likely harms the
> reputation of KDE.org mail infrastructure as well (impacting
> deliverability for all email). By altering messages and causing these
> failures, we effectively exclude people from our community simply
> because of decisions taken by their mail provider.
>
> We'll therefore be disabling stripping of any attachments or html
> bodies, modification of mail subjects, and removing any mail headers
> or footers which the list is adding into any mails. This will be made
> globally across all lists on kde.org infrastructure some time in the
> next week or two.

Please provide a list of all mailman settings you are going to change. I
guess at least the following settings will be changed:
subject_prefix -> <empty>
msg_header -> <empty>
msg_footer -> <empty>
scrub_nondigest -> No
filter_content -> No

What other settings are you going to change?

What about the Reply-To header munging related settings? Is Reply-To
protected by DKIM signatures?

What about include_sender_header ("Should the Sender header be rewritten
for this mailing list to avoid stray bounces? Yes is recommended.")?

Regards,
Ingo