[kde-community] KDE Mission - let's do this! : Feedback on survey draft

Thomas Pfeiffer thomas.pfeiffer at kde.org
Tue May 24 09:57:47 BST 2016

On Dienstag, 24. Mai 2016 01:01:13 CEST Riccardo Iaconelli wrote:
> Hi,
>
> On 23 May 2016 at 19:28, Thomas Pfeiffer <thomas.pfeiffer at kde.org> wrote:
> > 3. Added another question for the contributors "Which category or
> > categories of projects have you contributed to most recently?",
> > multi-select, with the options
> > [ ] Plasma
> > [ ] Applications
> > [ ] Frameworks
> > [ ] Meta (sysadmin, web)
> >
> > I have not mentioned promo, vdg or community/support separately because
> > their work is usually related to one of the project categories. Am I
> > missing other functions which contribute to KDE's producs but do not
> > relate to any of the categories above?
>
> I am not sure how most WikiToLearn guys would reply here: are we meta?
> We have, roughly developers, infrastructure administrators,
> organizers, promo team and content writers. We do a very different job
> than documenters, translators or other generic KDE meta people. Then,
> why Plasma has its own box, isn't it an application?

You are right, I completely forgot WikiToLearn here!
Are there more projects which do not belong in any of these categories, but
isn't "meta" either?

The reason why Plasma is mentioned separately (and WikiToLearn should be, too)
is that it might be more important what Plasma contributors think about
desktop matters than what those not contributing to it think. On the other
hand, regarding issues like which platforms we want _applications_ to run on,
the voice of someone who only contributes to Plasma or WikiToLearn might not
be as important as the voice of someone who actually contributes to
applications.

Of course we want a vision for all of KDE, but our "who does the work,
decides" mantra should not be falling behind there.

> I would say you should be identified with the skills you apply, which
> better reflect the nature of our community: programmer, designer,
> promoter, syadmin, translator...

The problem here is that the groups for some roles are too small to guarantee
anonymity.