[kde-community] possible foss alternative to telegram/slack

Nicolás Alvarez nicolas.alvarez at gmail.com
Fri May 20 17:40:50 BST 2016

> On Dienstag, 17. Mai 2016 12:33:25 CEST Nicolás Alvarez wrote:
>> > Hi all,
>> > Right now many groups are using Telegram as their primary communication
>> > medium due to some limitations in IRC (mainly due to the ease of pasting
>> > images inline the channel and the lack of fancy mobile clients for IRC),
>> > there may be other valid reasons i'm not aware of
>> > today i randomly stumbled upon
>> > http://www.mattermost.org/
>> >
>> > it seems to tick all the boxes:
>> > * open source
>> > * we can self host an instance
>> > * fancy mobile and desktop apps
>> > * inline multimedia attachments into messages
>> > * and most important for us old farts: bridge to IRC :p
>> >
>> > didn't try it, just stumbled upon it but may be something to be
>> > considered?
>>
>> There is no sane option for fancy mobile apps. You either compile your
>> own apps, get a developer account on app stores ($99 for iOS, $25 for
>> Android), get them through the app store review process, and maintain
>> them forever; or you use the official Mattermost apps that are already
>> in app stores, and pay Mattermost $20/user/year to send push
>> notifications through their servers.
>
> Are you sure about this? From what I've read on their website, only encrypted
> push notifications need a subscription, which is not necessary for talking
> about Free Software anyway, if we're being honest.
> None of our current Telegram or IRC communication is encrypted, so why would
> we need encryption for Mattermost?
> I cannot see anywhere that the Android app only works at all with a
> subscription.

Do they have such thing as "non-encrypted push notifications"?

To send a push notification to the iOS app, you need to talk to
Apple's servers using a SSL client certificate they give to the
developer. For the official app, obviously only Mattermost's servers
have that certificate. Either you proxy your notifications through
them (which apparently costs money), or you put your own app in the
store and talk to Apple directly.

If you don't do either, the app would probably still work, but you get
no notifications while the app isn't open/active.

I don't know much about Android's push notification system (GCM) but I
think it works in the exact same way.

--
Nicolás