[kde-community] [Kde-pim] A new home for Mozilla Thunderbird at KDE?

Daniel Vrátil dvratil at kde.org
Wed Apr 27 10:36:27 BST 2016

On Tuesday, April 26, 2016 4:03:43 PM CEST Jos van den Oever wrote:
> Hello KDE-ers,
>
> Mozilla Thunderbird is looking for a new home [1]. They are evaluating a
> number of options. KDE was not in the initial list of options, but I think
> KDE and Thunderbird would be an excellent fit.
>
> This mail goes to kde-community at kde.org and to a number KDE members that
> work on email. Please respond to kde-community to keep the thread on one
> place.
>
> I would like to hear what you think about the idea of Mozilla Thunderbird
> joining KDE next to KMail, Kontact, Kube, and Trojita. I think we can all
> benefit from being in one community and infrastructure.

Hi,

I like the idea of having Thunderbird in KDE. It shows that we are an open
community and welcoming towards "outside" projects and of course it would be
also a good PR for both sides.

From KDE PIM point of view (but speaking just for myself, not for the team) I
don't see any conflicts there. We don't have much to share with them (probably
except for hate of obsolete email protocols), but there are certainly things
we can learn from each other. As was mentioned elsewhere already, having
Thunderbird in KDE can only foster (friendly) competition between the email
clients, which I think would be much welcomed and can help push both projects
forward.

Cheers,
Dan