[kde-community] A new home for Mozilla Thunderbird at KDE?

Jos van den Oever jos at vandenoever.info
Tue Apr 26 21:10:30 BST 2016

On Wednesday 27 April 2016 03:33:33 Eike Hein wrote:
> On top of that, it's facing immense technological challenges in
> the relatively near future that will make it harder, not easier
> to develop further.
>
> Thunderbird joining KDE.org would require us to invest
> resources (monetary, but also the time and motivation of e.g.
> our sysadmins and our board). Can we recoup those? Why us if
> others could not?

Mozilla recognizes these problems. They have a position for an independent
contractor to help with that [1].

====
We are seeking an independent analysis of the technical risks and options
available to Thunderbird.  As such, we are looking for someone with as many of
the following as possible:

    experience working in large, complex open source projects
    experience building the technology needed for a consumer product with many
users and significant security and localization requirements
    understanding of the subtleties of both client-side C++ programs (from
build engineering to localization) as well as web-service enabled interactions
like addon systems, update systems, etc.
====

[1] https://careers.mozilla.org/position/ohUW2fwT