[kde-community] finding a clear vision for KDE - second draft for discussion

Alexander Neundorf neundorf at kde.org
Sat Feb 27 13:19:19 GMT 2016

On Friday, February 26, 2016 20:01:59 Jos Poortvliet wrote:
> On Wednesday, February 24, 2016 10:22:22 PM AMT Stephen Kelly wrote:
> > Valorie Zimmerman wrote:
> > > Oooo, Steve! Thank you for capping off an excellent discussion.

> > > After reading all of the above, which put into words my inchaote
> >
> > > thoughts, I would like to offer the following version:
> > It seems your thoughts are not the same as my words at all :). Your
> > suggestion seems to be exactly the opposite of what I wrote in many ways.
> >
> > Maybe I don't understand what you mean or what you want to communicate
> > with
> > that sentence.
> >
> > > KDE: control your digital life
> >
> > You dropped the reference to 'everyone'. You added a reference to KDE. You
> > dropped the 'a world in which' making it less inspirational. Altogether it
> > seems to me more like a marketing slogan.
> >
> > Can you say why you made those changes?
> >
> > Something I think you are right about is:
> > > Freedom, technology, software, privacy, all of that is IN there.
> >
> > So for me, this is quite good:
> >  "A world in which everyone has control in their digital life"
> >
> > I think it is good for all of the same reasons in my previous email. It is
> > also more concise.
>
> I think she got sidetracked by the search for a slogan - I had the same,
> really liking what she wrote, then reading your mail and realizing it was a
> slogan, not a vision...
>
> "A world in which everyone has control over their digital life" (in -> over)
> seems a great vision.

personally I'd like to have included that this can be done
- independent from the commercial interest of companies, i.e. no product lock-
in
- available for everybody to use, i.e. more or less free of cost
- using solutions which can survive long-term, i.e. the sources should be
available

Is all that implied by the your suggestions ?

Alex