[kde-community] Community vision and product vision

Alexander Neundorf neundorf at kde.org
Mon Feb 15 21:02:18 GMT 2016

On Monday, February 15, 2016 18:41:14 Thomas Pfeiffer wrote:
> Now the thing is: As many of you surely already know, I'm a big fan of
> product visions. Whenever I start working with a community within KDE, the
> first thing I ask is "Do we have a product vision yet?", and if the answer
> is "no", then I help them create one for their specific product.
> However, when members of the KDE Usability team (and later the VDG) tried to
> encourage the community to create a common product vision for all of KDE's
> products in the past, we were faced with the argument that looking for a
> such a vision would be pointless, since it would either not fit every
> project in KDE, or if it did, it would be too vague to be useful.

here are two links to those discussions:
https://mail.kde.org/pipermail/kde-community/2014q1/000541.html
https://mail.kde.org/pipermail/kde-community/2014q3/001046.html

> My suggestion, therefore, is: Why don't those who are looking for a common
> product direction band together and create one, which however is not
> "mandatory" for all of KDE. Instead, any project that adheres to this common
> product vision could publicly commit to it, and the suite made up of all of
> these products could even create their own _product brand_ (within KDE as
> the community brand) to reflect that. That way, we can have a collective
> product brand with a collective product vision without having to exclude
> any project which follows the same _community vision_ out of KDE.
>
> To me, this sounds like a win/win situation for all of us. What do you
> think?

just a thought: if we go this way, I suggest we try whether we can get that
done at once, and announce both together/at the same time.

Alex