[kde-community] Updating our vision

Thomas Pfeiffer colomar at autistici.org
Tue Jan 28 20:39:14 GMT 2014

Hi everyone,
when Heiko and me wrote our Human Interface Guideline for product Visions, we
wanted to link to the overall KDE Vision. However, when we looked it up at
http://techbase.kde.org/Projects/Usability/Principles/KDE4_Vision we noticed
that it is for KDE4 and we haven't found a vision document for the next
generation of our products yet. I think the majority of content from the KDE4
vision will still be relevant for the next generation, but we might want to
update some parts of it as well.
Additionally since we're moving away from a monolithic product called KDE to
more independent products, an overall vision as such may be questioned as
well.

So what do you think? Should we still have an overall vision for "Things KDE
produces after the KDE 4 series"? If so: Should it be written from scratch or
updated from the KDE 4 vision?

We (the usability team) are convinced that having product visions is very
helpful, certainly on an application level, but perhaps on a community-wide
level as well. Therefore, we're looking forward to your input!

Cheers,
Thomas