[kde-community] Fwd: KDE Vision – towards “wholesame” solutions

Ingo Klöcker kloecker at kde.org
Mon Feb 15 18:12:35 GMT 2016

On Sunday 14 February 2016 23:57:56 Alexander Neundorf wrote:
> On Saturday, February 13, 2016 13:12:52 Lydia Pintscher wrote:
> > On Sat, Feb 13, 2016 at 7:45 AM, Olaf Schmidt-Wischhöfer wrote:
> > I agree that integration within our projects is important. And I
> > believe it has suffered lately as the cohesion inside KDE became
> > less. My gut feeling is that this should go in the mission.
> >
> > > I would suggest a sentence like the following:
> > > “KDE aims to offer complete, well-integrated solutions – while
> > > connecting different platforms, devices and online services.”
> >
> > That sounds good to me.
>
> To me too, but I still miss the reference that it is about software
> with graphical user interfaces (GUI's can also have gesture or voice
> input etc.), which Olaf seems to imply too.
> I mean, we are not targetting e.g. sensor networks built from 8bit uCs
> communicating to some big online server, with no user intervention
> (which would fit that description too), or are we ?

Please don't speak for me. You've made it absolutely clear that _you_
are only interested in GUI. That's totally fine. We need people who
focus on (G)UI applications. But we also need people who focus on non-
GUI-stuff. A large part of Frameworks 5 is non-GUI-stuff. Akonadi (and
its spin-off) is non-GUI stuff.

Therefore, I'm against a-priori excluding anybody who is not interested
in (G)UI applications from KDE by restricting ourselves in our vision to
(G)UI applications.

Of course, the mission statement can mention that we _mostly_ (but not
entirely) focus on (G)UI applications and supporting libraries and
services.

Regards,
Ingo