[kde-community] Fwd: KDE Vision – towards “wholesame” solutions

Martin Graesslin mgraesslin at kde.org
Mon Feb 15 06:54:40 GMT 2016

On Sunday, February 14, 2016 11:57:56 PM CET Alexander Neundorf wrote:
> > I agree that integration within our projects is important. And I
> > believe it has suffered lately as the cohesion inside KDE became less.
> > My gut feeling is that this should go in the mission.
> >
> > > I would suggest a sentence like the following:
> > > “KDE aims to offer complete, well-integrated solutions – while
> > > connecting
> > > different platforms, devices and online services.”
> >
> > That sounds good to me.
>
> To me too, but I still miss the reference that it is about software with
> graphical user interfaces (GUI's can also have gesture or voice input etc.),
> which Olaf seems to imply too.

I can only repeat my advice: please don't close doors for KDE by focusing on
GUI. There is a world beyond GUI and KDE partially already entered it. Don't
close it.

> I mean, we are not targetting e.g. sensor networks built from 8bit uCs
> communicating to some big online server, with no user intervention (which
> would fit that description too), or are we ?

Please ask yourself the following question: what if a project inside KDE
started to do it? What would happen with the project? Would they stay in or
would they leave KDE?

I understand that you want to draw a line to define what KDE is. The danger
here is that this will always only work to exclude things. Drawing the line is
not easy. Just right now in your last mail you redefined GUI to include speech
recognition so that the line would cover that. Dangerous, just dangerous. By
leaving so much open for interpretation your drawing a line doesn't work.

So go from the other side. Look at where KDE might be going with it's own
projects and everything where it might go must be inside the line. And then
you realize that the line doesn't make much sense.

If you draw the line to exclude you must be willing to kick projects out,
otherwise it doesn't make sense. If you don't kick them out and keep the line
to exclude projects coming in you create a two class society, a project
hostile to incorporating new projects.

Both are things I don't want KDE to be. I don't want my projects being kicked
out because they might not do GUI. Neither do I want to be part of a community
which is excluding projects which do not fit, although KDE itself has projects
which fit.

Thus: don't mention GUI in the vision.

Cheers
Martin