[kde-community] finding a clear vision for KDE - first draft for discussion

Ingo Klöcker kloecker at kde.org
Sun Feb 14 20:34:35 GMT 2016

On Sunday 14 February 2016 20:16:57 Lydia Pintscher wrote:
> I am currently going through all the feedback again. Thanks for all
> your really useful feedback, Ingo. We'll take over a lot of it for
> the second draft.
>
> On Fri, Feb 5, 2016 at 5:00 PM Ingo Klöcker <kloecker at kde.org> wrote:
> > So, how about
> > "KDE enables everyone to control their digital life without
> > compromising their
> > privacy."
>
> It seems to me this is pitching control against privacy. If you want
> more control you need to give up your privacy.

I cannot follow you. Why do you think that you need to give up your
privacy if you want more control?

I think the opposite is true. If you have full control over your digital
life, then (for me) this implies that you have full control over your
data. So, we could probably even remove the "without compromising their
privacy" part from the vision statement (but we should then add it to an
explanatory second sentence similar to how Oxfam explains with a second
sentence what they mean by "a just world without poverty").

Regards,
Ingo