[kde-community] Distribution outreach program: Where do we go from here?

Valorie Zimmerman valorie.zimmerman at gmail.com
Sun Feb 14 00:15:15 GMT 2016

On Sat, Feb 13, 2016 at 1:57 PM, Thomas Pfeiffer
<thomas.pfeiffer at kde.org> wrote:
> Hi everyone,
> now with neon having been announced, and some members of some distributions
> fearing that their distribution might become a "second-class citizen" for KDE
> software due to the less direct communication with KDE, I think that it's more
> important than ever to publicly reach out to all distros shipping our
> software.

I agree. Especially since the Bryan Lunduke article propagated not
just misinformation, but generated quite a bit of hostility. And some
of the comments were even seen as "friendly fire" against KDE
packaging teams by other KDE folks. This is quite bad.

> This thread has seen some skepticism about some parts of my original idea, but
> mostly great suggestions for how to proceed.
>
> I've tried to analyze the brainstorming results and identify what most people
> contributing to the discussion seemed to agree on.
> Here is how I'd suggest to proceed:
>
> - Form a team to organize the Distribution Outreach Program and act as point
> of contact for the distributions
>
> - Define what would be the main communication channel (should we just use
> kde-distro-packagers or do we need a new mailing list, forum or whatever?)
>
> - Publicly announce (on all channels where we might reach distributions) the
> program, including how to reach us
>
> - Collect from our maintainers what a distribution should to provide in order
> to make their software work best on it (where do we reach everyone?) and
> publish that (ideally on our wiki once that is editable again)
>
> This is all I'd do for now. I'd suggest to first see how much simply increasing
> communication and publishing our requirements will take us. We can decide
> whether we want/need badges or scripted testing later.
>
> Does that make sense to you guys?
> And most importantly: Who'd be up for joining the program team?
>
> Cheers,
> Thomas

I think this is an excellent way to move forward, and I will help in
any way I can.

Valorie