[kde-community] finding a clear vision for KDE - first draft for discussion

Cornelius Schumacher schumacher at kde.org
Thu Feb 11 00:01:51 GMT 2016

On Monday 08 February 2016 12:16:41 Sebastian Kügler wrote:
> On Friday, February 05, 2016 05:00:28 PM Ingo Klöcker wrote:
> >
> > So, how about
> > "KDE enables everyone to control their digital life without compromising
> > their  privacy."
>
> That's getting really catchy!
>
> Really useful feedback, thanks Ingo. I agree with the points you make.

Same here. This is what is resonating most with me from what I have seen in
this thread. Thanks, Ingo. It captures what I perceive as the common ground of
what we want to reach.

The exact wording could maybe be improved. But it has the right element.

"enables everyone" expresses that we are giving people access to technology,
that we break down barriers, that we imagine a world where software freedom is
the norm.

"control their digital life" captures the end user target and that it is about
giving control to people. Again something which goes very well with the ideals
of free software, but on a more general level.

"without compromising their privacy" might be a bit limited in the concrete
mention of privacy, but it expresses that the world we want to reach is one
where fundamental rights are respected, individuals are respected, and
technology is used in a responsible way. I'm thinking of a "free society"
here.

Having such a vision statement might not be for everyone, but I think this is
ok. This is not about convincing anybody, but about expressing the common
driver which already is there. I do think it's motivating, but I also think
there are many other motivations and concrete reasons which bring people to
KDE. In the end I feel they are compatible with a vision statement as Ingo
expressed it and it actually describes the core of where we can go as a
community.