[kde-community] finding a clear vision for KDE - first draft for discussion

Jos Poortvliet jospoortvliet at gmail.com
Wed Feb 10 12:30:04 GMT 2016

On Wednesday, February 10, 2016 7:59:20 AM BRST Clemens Toennies wrote:
> On Feb 9, 2016 11:42 PM, "Sebastian Kügler" <sebas at kde.org> wrote:

> of
> > >
> > > sure we'll lose it long-term.
> > > If we don't focus at all on Qt,
> >
> > Nobody says that we don't focus at all on Qt. Our software is built
> around Qt,
> > and nobody wants to change that. It's because Qt is an excellent solution
> > many of our problems, it just isn't a goal in itself, but a tool.
>
> Provoking thought:
> With the recent shift of Gnome to exclusivity (leading to mint x-apps,
> ubuntu forks), what if more and more GTK applications would become KDE
> projects because of shared values inside an independent, welcoming
> community?
> Maybe then with everyone working closer together, we would be able to
> overcome the rift still dividing the linux enduser technologies when people
> start to sit on the same tables?

See my other, ridiculously long email about this. GNOME has a very different philosophy. I agree with you that there are probably GTK based projects which could fit just fine in KDE if we would be a bit less technology-focused. Inkscape, for one, seems to follow the KDE design philosophy closer than the GNOME one and they are debating moving to Qt regularly. If we'd tell them they could be a KDE project no matter what tech they use I predict that, if they decide to join, they'll move to Qt in a year or 2 anyway ;-)