[kde-community] finding a clear vision for KDE - an alternative draft for discussion

Martin Graesslin mgraesslin at kde.org
Tue Feb 9 06:55:08 GMT 2016

On Monday, February 8, 2016 1:02:47 PM CET Alexander Dymo wrote:
> On Mon, Feb 8, 2016 at 2:15 AM, Martin Graesslin <mgraesslin at kde.org> wrote:
> > why you think KDE should not be a leader in future technologies.
>
> What are these future technologies?
> I think you're just not convinced this is the future, right?

Sorry, I dont' have the capabilities to see what will be the future
technologies. And I think neither do you. I consider it as likely that we will
have a GUI less future, due to emerging technologies which I had already
listed in another mail to show that a focus on GUI is not sufficient:
* speech recognition
* IoT
* sensors

But anyway I asked a question and would like to see an answer to it.

> > How do you convince me to continue to develop the desktop when I don't see
> > a future for KDE due to not willing to go to the next thing?
>
> You've already listed several "things". Which ones from them do you
> think are most important to work on?

This was more a rhetorical question. Apparently it didn't make it through. I'm
worried about your vision closing a path for the future. Your vision setting a
focus on past technologies, which will result in stagnation, shrinking and
death. I'm asking you why I as a developer should contribute my time for a
dieing community?

Cheers
Martin