[kde-community] Differences between proposed vision drafts (or "inclusive" vs "focused")

Martin Graesslin mgraesslin at kde.org
Mon Feb 8 08:30:29 GMT 2016

On Thursday, February 4, 2016 9:16:41 PM CET Alexander Neundorf wrote:
> Hi,
>
> On Thursday, February 04, 2016 07:53:06 Martin Graesslin wrote:
> > On Wednesday, February 3, 2016 11:44:35 PM CET Alexander Dymo wrote:
> > > I reread both drafts and realized that people who have not
> > > participated in the development of these proposals might miss the
> > > important difference between them.
> > >
> > > The Lydia & Co see KDE providing users free software to manage any
> > > aspect of their digital life: GUI environments, applications (GUI and
> > > not), knowledge management systems, etc.
> > >
> > > The AlexN. & Co see KDE providing users free GUI environments and
> > > applications that work on any computing device: desktop, laptop,
> > > tablet, smartphone, or any other device present and future.
> >
> > may I ask where the focused group sees the future in a world beyond GUI,
>
> the vision draft we present here is not a long term vision which changes the
> future of computing.
> It presents ambitious, but realistic goals for the next few years.

Currently our vision is the one Matthias set out for us in the initial
starting of KDE mail. So we have a vision which served us for 20 years. It
worked for us for about 15 years (didn't fit mobile). So I think any vision we
come up to replace the existing one should aim for helping us for at least the
next 15 years including future technology transitions.

Cheers
Martin