[kde-community] finding a clear vision for KDE - an alternative draft for discussion

Alexander Neundorf neundorf at kde.org
Sun Feb 7 13:00:43 GMT 2016

On Saturday, February 06, 2016 19:39:35 Thomas Pfeiffer wrote:
> On Samstag, 6. Februar 2016 16:47:31 CET Ingo Klöcker wrote:
> > Yes. I think the vision statement needs to be complemented by a mission
> > statement. But I think, before we tackle the mission statement, we should
> > nail down the vision.

I think the main difference is that it mentions local applications/software
with GUIs explicitely (that's the "focus" ;-) ).

> That exactly was our (the "inclusive vision group") plan.
> And it now looks to me that maybe the actual Vision part of the "focused
> version" isn't all that different form the other one.

That's good :-)

> It feels to me that we all agree far more on the vision than the mission. We
> all want the same in the end (end-users are in control of their devices and
> software, and can keep their privacy), we just prefer different paths
> toward that goal (the mission).
>
> Am I right or am I missing something?

Well, a one-sentence vision statement probably always leaves a lot of room for
interpretation...
I think there's no need to rush.
Things are going much better now, that we see what has been written down. :-)
So, let's just continue, gather opinions and views, and maybe head towards the
mission ?

Alex