[kde-community] finding a clear vision for KDE - an alternative draft for discussion

Ingo Klöcker kloecker at kde.org
Sat Feb 6 15:47:31 GMT 2016

On Friday 05 February 2016 23:16:06 Alexander Neundorf wrote:
> > A possible vision for KDE derived from your draft but being more in line
> > with the example would be
> > "KDE enables everyone to make best use of their digital devices without
> > compromising their privacy."
>
> I have to admit, while this certainly matches better the definition of a
> "vision", and I agree with it, to me, as a boring German engineer, this
> sentence alone is not useful.
> When I read it, I think, Ok, that's an introduction, marketing, nothing
> concrete, now where is the real stuff ? Such a sentence alone doesn't make
> me excited, nor curious.

Then it's probably not good/catchy/interesting enough.

Let's look at a few examples:

Oxfam: A just world without poverty

Feeding America: A hunger-free America

Human Rights Campaign: Equality for everyone

> I have seen enough of those slogans, everybody has
> one, they are usually "deep", "thought provoking", "engaging", etc., I'm
> actually tired of those.

Then a vision is probably not for you. That'd be sad, but maybe you are really
looking for a mission, i.e. a concrete plan for action.

> Yes, we can tweak the first few sentences so they match that format.
> I think an important point this draft wants to make is to spell out what KDE
> is trying to achieve in concrete software categories, so a reader
> understands what we are doing, and doesn't have to guess and assume.
> As I said above, that's maybe vision+mission ?

Yes. I think the vision statement needs to be complemented by a mission
statement. But I think, before we tackle the mission statement, we should nail
down the vision.

Regards,
Ingo