[kde-community] finding a clear vision for KDE - an alternative draft for discussion

Ingo Klöcker kloecker at kde.org
Fri Feb 5 15:43:06 GMT 2016

On Wednesday 03 February 2016 22:05:20 Alexander Neundorf wrote:
> KDE is an end-user focused, openly governed community of free software
> enthusiasts

This is a description of what you (and me) think KDE is (or should be), but
not what its goal (vision) is, unless you think that our goal should be to be
"an end-user focused, openly governed community of free software enthusiasts".

> that strives to provide graphical user interfaces and
> applications for end-users for all types of computers across the device
> spectrum: desktops PCs, laptops, tablets, smartphones, etc.

Providing end-user software for all kinds of devices sounds like a mission
statement to me, i.e. like a plan to reach some goal. It totally lacks the
What and Why, i.e. the greater goal. Why do we strive to provide ...? What is
in it for the end-users that they do not get from any other software vendor?

> We believe that software should be free and respectful of the privacy of our
> users.

This sentence seems to hint at a vision I could identify with. Free Software
that protects the users privacy.

> Our values are stated in the KDE Manifesto.

This sentence isn't really part of a vision or mission statement. It makes
sense to put it somewhere, e.g. on the page which shows our vision (and
mission), but not as part of the vision (or mission).

Since Mirko posted a link to this website, I assume that you have read the
list of 30 example vision statements.
https://topnonprofits.com/examples/vision-statements/

I will cite the vision statement of Creative Commons because they are closest
to us:
Creative Commons: Our vision is nothing less than realizing the full potential
of the Internet — universal access to research and education, full
participation in culture — to drive a new era of development, growth, and
productivity.

As you can see it does not say what Creative Commons is. Neither does it
mention any plans how to reach their vision (e.g. by providing licenses). The
same is true for the other 29 examples listed on the above page.

A possible vision for KDE derived from your draft but being more in line with
the example would be
"KDE enables everyone to make best use of their digital devices without
compromising their privacy."

"digital devices" most likely isn't the best term, but I couldn't think of a
better concise term for "all types of computers across the device spectrum".
Maybe "computing devices"?

Regards,
Ingo