[kde-community] Differences between proposed vision drafts (or "inclusive" vs "focused")

Alexander Neundorf neundorf at kde.org
Thu Feb 4 20:16:41 GMT 2016

Hi,

On Thursday, February 04, 2016 07:53:06 Martin Graesslin wrote:
> On Wednesday, February 3, 2016 11:44:35 PM CET Alexander Dymo wrote:
> > I reread both drafts and realized that people who have not
> > participated in the development of these proposals might miss the
> > important difference between them.
> >
> > The Lydia & Co see KDE providing users free software to manage any
> > aspect of their digital life: GUI environments, applications (GUI and
> > not), knowledge management systems, etc.
> >
> > The AlexN. & Co see KDE providing users free GUI environments and
> > applications that work on any computing device: desktop, laptop,
> > tablet, smartphone, or any other device present and future.
>
> may I ask where the focused group sees the future in a world beyond GUI,

the vision draft we present here is not a long term vision which changes the
future of computing.
It presents ambitious, but realistic goals for the next few years.
Currently KDE applications and the desktop are successful on desktop Linux
(and BSD etc.). But there is so much territory to conquer beyond that, while
(for now) staying focused on GUIs.
Let's make KDE applications as well known as Firefox or LibreOffice.

(This also implies that a vision statement needs updating over the years as
circumstances change.)

> I'm thinking of areas like:
> * speech recognition (e.g. KDE Lera)

Alex D. already replied to this, I agree with him. If it helps to achieve the
goals, great. Speech recognition certainly does. (but still speech recognition
is not the focus of KDE).

> * IoT

What exactly do you have in mind ?
Is that covered by the statements on "portable applications incl. touch" and
"user interface for embedded Linux" ?

> * Sensors (think of the old joke of "Focus Follows Mind", but we're almost
> there)

Some years ago I was programming sensors by pushing bits on a wire from a PIC
uC and looking at them with the oscilloscope...
What do you have in mind with regard to KDE ?

Alex