[kde-community] Differences between proposed vision drafts (or "inclusive" vs "focused")

Alexander Dymo alex at alexdymo.com
Thu Feb 4 05:44:35 GMT 2016

I reread both drafts and realized that people who have not
participated in the development of these proposals might miss the
important difference between them.

The Lydia & Co see KDE providing users free software to manage any
aspect of their digital life: GUI environments, applications (GUI and
not), knowledge management systems, etc.

The AlexN. & Co see KDE providing users free GUI environments and
applications that work on any computing device: desktop, laptop,
tablet, smartphone, or any other device present and future.

First proposal is internally called "inclusive", as it defines KDE as
an entity that can include any free software project that shares its
goals and wants to join the KDE community.

Second proposal is internally called "focused", as it limits the focus
of KDE to GUI software, but at the same time emphasizes that users
should be able to use KDE software on all their devices.

Both proposals aim at giving KDE a new direction. Inclusive proposal
is about going breadth-first, focused - depth-first.

PS: this summary is my opinion, and it is not endorsed by any of the
two vision groups.