[kde-community] finding a clear vision for KDE - an alternative draft for discussion

Alexander Neundorf neundorf at kde.org
Wed Feb 3 23:00:28 GMT 2016

Hi Adriaan,

On Wednesday, February 03, 2016 23:18:26 Adriaan de Groot wrote:
> On Wednesday 03 February 2016 22:05:20 Alexander Neundorf wrote:
> > Let's make KDE rule the world of free GUI software !
>
> I'll be a little flippant and say that this is a second vision, different
> from the first one presented in your mail.

Well, maybe. ;-)
I think it says about the same (just very terse and unclear).

> But on-topic: Just a quick question: the paragraphs between ----- lines is
> the vision-statement from this vision-group? The text on the wiki-page
> https://community.kde.org/KDE/VisionDraftA  is slightly longer, with an
> introduction as well.

The "this document..." introduction didn't make sense to me as part of the
email. It basically duplicated what the rest of the mail said already.

> I'm asking this because I want to know what I should put into my
> vision-ometer (a contraption that measures the visionariness) and what
> (same) text I should compare to any other vision-statement that is
> proposed.

I don't know.

To me, having a one-sentence vision statement alone is not overly important,
I'm more interested in having a document which tells people what KDE is trying
to achieve. That may need more than one sentence.

Having said that, the "core" is the first sentence ("KDE is....").

The four items basically just go into more details to explain what that "core"
statement is supposed to cover.

The whole thing is just a first, rough draft, waiting for feedback,
suggestions, etc.
If you think this is not a vision, but a vision+mission, or something else,
say so. :-)

Alex