[kde-community] RFC: Distribution outreach program

Martin Graesslin mgraesslin at kde.org
Wed Feb 3 13:16:32 GMT 2016

On Wednesday, February 3, 2016 9:44:13 AM CET Nicolás Alvarez wrote:
> > On Feb 1, 2016, at 15:31, Cornelius Schumacher <schumacher at kde.org> wrote:
> >> On Monday 01 February 2016 13:04:37 Sebastian Kügler wrote:
> >>
> >> I'm not against automated testing at all, I just think it doesn't work at
> >> the highest level and bears pitfalls of distros gaming the system, or
> >> people actually care more about the number of points they get than the
> >> actual user experience.
> >
> > I think we have to readjust the perspective here a bit. I really
> > appreciate
> > Thomas' initiative because there definitely could be better collaboration
> > between distributions and KDE. We have the common goal to get our software
> > to users in the best possible shape. We shouldn't see that as a gaming,
> > blaming, or judging, but we should see this as an opportunity to work
> > together in a better way. How this is then expressed to the public is a
> > second thought, and should be decided together with the distributions.
> >
> > So defining and discussing criteria which make up a good experience,
> > listing and communicating requirements, talking to each other about what
> > is missing, what needs to be fixed, and where it should be fixed without
> > playing upstream- downstream-ping-pong, sharing and possibly aligning
> > roadmaps, all these things and more could happen through the distribution
> > outreach program. This would be really wonderful.
> >
> > In essence I think this is about better communication between KDE and
> > distributions, so that we can productively work on what needs to be fixed,
> > avoid misunderstandings, and keep a common momentum.
>
> Here is an idea that shouldn't be novel but I have yet to see mentioned.
>
> If you see a distro doesn't package KDE software correctly, doesn't
> integrate with the system, doesn't provide a good user experience for
> whatever reason... file a bug on the distro's bug tracker. Instead of
> putting the distro on a user-facing "they don't do things good enough"
> list.

You haven't seen this one proposed, because it just doesn't work. Do you
really think nobody reports bugs about incorrectly packaged stuff? Or that we
don't talk to the distros? Do you know how often we get answers like "well I
would like to, but we have $POLICY". I could give you examples like outdated
Qt in Kubuntu, broken cursors on Fedora, missing Wayland in openSUSE Leap, no
way to suspend in Devuan, etc. etc. - I could name you a $POLICY issue for
each distro.

Sorry once you have done this for years, you realize this approach doesn't
work. Personally I'm pretty fed up with the state our software is in, in
various distributions. I'm sick of having to take the blame for it. This
approach hasn't worked, we need to look for new ways.

Cheers
Martin