[kde-community] RFC: Distribution outreach program

Nicolás Alvarez nicolas.alvarez at gmail.com
Wed Feb 3 12:44:13 GMT 2016

> On Feb 1, 2016, at 15:31, Cornelius Schumacher <schumacher at kde.org> wrote:
>
>> On Monday 01 February 2016 13:04:37 Sebastian Kügler wrote:
>>
>> I'm not against automated testing at all, I just think it doesn't work at
>> the highest level and bears pitfalls of distros gaming the system, or
>> people actually care more about the number of points they get than the
>> actual user experience.
>
> I think we have to readjust the perspective here a bit. I really appreciate
> Thomas' initiative because there definitely could be better collaboration
> between distributions and KDE. We have the common goal to get our software to
> users in the best possible shape. We shouldn't see that as a gaming, blaming,
> or judging, but we should see this as an opportunity to work together in a
> better way. How this is then expressed to the public is a second thought, and
> should be decided together with the distributions.
>
> So defining and discussing criteria which make up a good experience, listing
> and communicating requirements, talking to each other about what is missing,
> what needs to be fixed, and where it should be fixed without playing upstream-
> downstream-ping-pong, sharing and possibly aligning roadmaps, all these things
> and more could happen through the distribution outreach program. This would be
> really wonderful.
>
> In essence I think this is about better communication between KDE and
> distributions, so that we can productively work on what needs to be fixed,
> avoid misunderstandings, and keep a common momentum.

Here is an idea that shouldn't be novel but I have yet to see mentioned.

If you see a distro doesn't package KDE software correctly, doesn't integrate with the system, doesn't provide a good user experience for whatever reason... file a bug on the distro's bug tracker. Instead of putting the distro on a user-facing "they don't do things good enough" list.

Would we like distros to make a user-facing list of "software that works best" and doesn't include Plasma, in order to "incentivize" us to make changes they want?

--
Nicolás