[kde-community] RFC: Distribution outreach program

Cornelius Schumacher schumacher at kde.org
Mon Feb 1 18:31:19 GMT 2016

On Monday 01 February 2016 13:04:37 Sebastian Kügler wrote:

> I'm not against automated testing at all, I just think it doesn't work at
> the highest level and bears pitfalls of distros gaming the system, or
> people actually care more about the number of points they get than the
> actual user experience.

I think we have to readjust the perspective here a bit. I really appreciate
Thomas' initiative because there definitely could be better collaboration
between distributions and KDE. We have the common goal to get our software to
users in the best possible shape. We shouldn't see that as a gaming, blaming,
or judging, but we should see this as an opportunity to work together in a
better way. How this is then expressed to the public is a second thought, and
should be decided together with the distributions.

So defining and discussing criteria which make up a good experience, listing
and communicating requirements, talking to each other about what is missing,
what needs to be fixed, and where it should be fixed without playing upstream-
downstream-ping-pong, sharing and possibly aligning roadmaps, all these things
and more could happen through the distribution outreach program. This would be
really wonderful.

In essence I think this is about better communication between KDE and
distributions, so that we can productively work on what needs to be fixed,
avoid misunderstandings, and keep a common momentum.