[kde-community] RFC: Distribution outreach program

Martin Graesslin mgraesslin at kde.org
Mon Feb 1 14:50:52 GMT 2016

On Monday, February 1, 2016 1:04:37 PM CET Sebastian Kügler wrote:
> On Saturday, January 30, 2016 07:09:16 PM Aleix Pol wrote:
> > > Personally not, but I'd like other people from distributions to chime
> > > in.
> >
> > How about coming up with a set of scripts that give score to an
> > installation?
> >
> > This way we can say "OpenSuse scored X points/K stars in our
> > compatibility test" and yet we have some metrics to help improve
> > integration.
>
> I think a set of scripts would just encourage people to game the system. The
> real problem is user experience, and that's a vague enough concept that it
> can't be checked with scripts.
>
> It would be good to have a list of things that should just work for users,
> and check for that. I think the checking itself needs to be done by a
> human, though, to judge if it's just a script passing, or if things
> actually work the way they should.

The important part here might be that we as a community sit down and define
what we expect from a system.

That can be things like:
* connecting a bluetooth head set works out of the box
* I don't need root privs to setup a printer
* updates are shown in an easy way
* no colorful items are added to the systray in a default install
* sni-qt is shipped and setup correctly by default (that is skype works)
* look and feel is either breeze or verified by experienced devs/designers to
be complete

That alone is something which will be very valuable and thus I think that's
overall a very good idea presented by Thomas.

Cheers
Martin