[kde-community] About ocs-server future

Sebastian Kügler sebas at kde.org
Fri Jan 15 13:54:43 GMT 2016

I'm cutting out a lot of text here, which again contains misrepresentations,
but I don't think discussing these in detail contributes to a conclusion here,
so I'll concentrate on what matters instead.

On Friday, January 15, 2016 03:54:15 AM Claudio Desideri wrote:
> been used replacing openDesktop, however, i got no response at all. After
> repeatedly asking, I was told it would have been part of incubation phase.
> Now, I don't know project phases as much as you do, but I believe
> incubation happens way before is inside KDE. Then, logically, that means
> ocs-server wasn't inside KDE. Please, correct me if I'm wrong.

The ocs-server project you were working on doesn't need incubation since it
started inside KDE, as a KDE project. The incubation process is there for
external project that want to move into KDE with their infrastructure and
become part of the wider KDE community.

https://community.kde.org/Incubator has more detailed information.

The point that you are misunderstanding, and which I explained to you multiple
times (I recall you were really thick-headed about it, or I simply failed
explaining it well enough) is that it's not me and not Blue Systems to decide
which codebase gets used and if the opendesktop services are going to be
replaced at all. This decision is made by the community, and such a decision
simply cannot be made before a solution is ready. If anybody told you that
your project would never be used (I'm 100% sure I didn't), then that's at best
guess work. I simply asked you to take part in defining a road forward, you
contracted that time and time again into what seemed suitable to your mental
model, or what you wanted to understand. In contrast, this lack of
understanding of failure of communication was not an issue with every other
person I talked to about this topic.

My impression was that you were only interested in ocs-server if there was a
financial compensation, and that you were not open to consider alternative
solutions, should the result of an evaluation bring that forward as the most
promising future roadmap. In my opinion, that attitude lacks intrinsic
motivation and pragmatism to be really useful for KDE. It's your call,
however, and I respect that decision.
--
sebas

http://www.kde.org | http://vizZzion.org