[kde-community] KDE on Android moving forward

Aleix Pol aleixpol at kde.org
Wed Oct 7 12:20:24 BST 2015

Dear community,

The world is ever-changing and KDE has always been trying to stand one
step forward by pushing our technologies towards those areas which we
are not still quite consolidated in. Recent efforts such as Plasma
Mobile and the guidance of Randa Meetings 2015 towards "Bring Touch to
KDE" are some examples of gaps we could further explore.

The KDE e.V has been working on getting an official developer account
for the Google Play Store [1]. We consider it important to give our
developers the opportunity to distribute KDE applications under a
shared umbrella. Similarly to all sort of projects we hold in KDE
Applications, the KDE Community Google Play Store account is expected
to provide a wide collection of Qt/KF5-based apps. As usual, the KDE
Manifesto must also apply to these applications. The other benefit is
that our users become aware of all the applications we provide easily
and that they can trust that the app is genuine and up to our quality
standards. Currently, Marble, KDE Connect and KAlgebra are already
available from our Google Play Store account.

To coordinate how we can approach KDE projects to Android (through
either Google Play or any more FOSS-friendly approach we should take),
we recently created a mailing list at kde-android at kde.org [2] that I
welcome you all to join.

Aleix

[1] https://play.google.com/store/apps/developer?id=KDE+Community