[kde-community] What is a GitHub pull request exactly?

Riccardo Iaconelli riccardo at kde.org
Sun Sep 20 14:04:54 BST 2015

On Sunday, September 20, 2015 01:51:19 PM Laszlo Papp wrote:
> I just do not happen to see this case strong enough to support,
> personally. We have not even tried to see how the mirror works out,
> and we already think of whether or not it is a big problem not
> allowing pull requests, et al. It is a bit fast pace.

Hi,
thank you for voicing your concerns in such a manner, I do not think it is
harsh at all. :-)

The reason why I am still answering this thread is simply that I would like to
address the "But what happens if some people do not like the direction of
github being more than a mirror?" question.

Everybody here agrees that github is just a mirror, and a promotion channel.
The other issue is how pull requests (aka patch submissions), which cannot be
disabled anyways, should be answered. There are people who would automatically
close them with a big NO, and people like me who think this is a communication
mistake.
Since github is a promo platform, we should be open to people who reach out to
us, and say something like "thank you for your patch, I have applied it/I have
put it to review on phabricator/it was automatically put on review on
phabricator. For next patches, please consider to submit them directly there
instead of sending us a pull request".

As a second discussion, there is people who found ways to get additional
funding through 3rd party tools integrated with github. I think that is also
reasonable (as we cannot provide any alternative), but it is a different point
indeed.

Bye,
-Riccardo