[kde-community] What is a GitHub pull request exactly?

Laszlo Papp lpapp at kde.org
Sun Sep 20 13:51:19 BST 2015

On Sun, Sep 20, 2015 at 1:39 PM, Riccardo Iaconelli <riccardo at kde.org> wrote:
> On Sunday, September 20, 2015 12:26:41 PM Sune Vuorela wrote:
>> Free software needs free tools.
>
> I am sorry, but sadly this is not the state of the art. KDE has been created
> with many non free tools and currently co-exists in many non-free
> environments. We can either decide to live with it and improve the situation
> little by little or put our heads in the sand, build walls around us and
> pretend the rest of the world doesn't exist.

Call me conservative, but I just do not get this repeating excuse. It
is not particularly against your argument, only. I appreciate your
response and opinion. I just see this as a repeating pattern.

People have been trying to argue with "not the case, sorry" and now it
might then turn into an "it is even more not the case, sorry"
situation in the future.

In my opinion, non-free tools in KDE have to make a very valid and
strong point to make the case prominent; that is, the vast majority of
the community. As for me, Windows is such a case, but regarding
github, anything more than mirroring is not. I might be harsh with
this, so I apologise, but it is still my opinion.

I understand and appreciate the repeating reason of "we want more
contributors and do not want to lose any". This is a very nice goal
and I agree with this.

But what happens if some people do not like the direction of github
being more than a mirror? You will lose contributors that way, too. I
do not think it is that black and white as described. You might lose
people both ways.

I simply do not buy the argument of supporting pull requests is a
clear win towards more contributors. We might respectfully agree to
disagree. That is fine. :)

I just do not happen to see this case strong enough to support,
personally. We have not even tried to see how the mirror works out,
and we already think of whether or not it is a big problem not
allowing pull requests, et al. It is a bit fast pace.

We need to defend software freedom, L.