[kde-community] What is a GitHub pull request exactly?

Kevin Krammer krammer at kde.org
Sun Sep 20 10:06:23 BST 2015

On Saturday, 2015-09-19, 23:06:47, Eike Hein wrote:
> On 09/19/2015 10:32 PM, Kevin Krammer wrote:
> > I don't see there this github review is coming from.
>
> Review is an interactive process where you ask for changes and
> iterate. Once you open the door to doing it on GitHub, you will:
>
> * Have a hard time making some contributors understand why
>   they should go through the trouble of moving to Phabricator
>   in the midst of the review process, or next time.
>
> * Have a hard time making some KDE developers understand why
>   they shouldn't just do it on GitHub.

First, I have no idea where this "use github for review" comes from at all.
Who wants to do that in the first place?

> I don't understand why you expect thinks like "if it matters
> people will take it to RB/Phab as second stage" or "after the
> first patch we ask someone to get an account and switch to
> Phab" will happen as a matter of course.

Because that is how it has always worked until now.

I don't believe that people will start ignoring the need for KDE review
despite a project's policies, or shoulder patch integration work for new
contributors indefinitely.

Do you find it likely that a KDE developer who asks an email-patch contributor
to submit further changes via Phab would not ask a github-patch contributor?

Do you find it likely that a KDE developer who follows the projects guidelines
on putting patches through Phab would suddenly decide to push directly?

KDE developers who have shown for years that their profressionalism and sense
of community has made it unnecessary to enforce things like review policies by
technical means. Who have shown that they prefer new contributors to become
fully integrated team members?

Because I do not.

I find it way more likely that KDE developers who accept patches from new
contributors will ask these contributors to get their own developer account
after a while.
I also find it way more likely that they will continue to abide by the rules
of the projects they are contributing to.

Cheers,
Kevin

KDE user support, developer mentoring