[kde-community] What is a GitHub pull request exactly?

Kevin Krammer krammer at kde.org
Sat Sep 19 19:43:56 BST 2015

On Saturday, 2015-09-19, 20:20:56, Eike Hein wrote:
> On 09/19/2015 08:13 PM, Kevin Krammer wrote:
> > I am afraid my understanding of the technical background of this is still
> > too hazy.
> > How would review "move" from KDE to github?
> > If review on reviewboard is required (per project's unwritten social
> > contract), it cannot not happen.
> > If it is not required, better have a patch reviewed elsewhere than not at
> > all.
> His argument is that because KDE developer accounts can
> write to repositories directly (which we have discussed
> many times we don't want to change), lazyness will win
> and patches will go into repositories directly after
> GitHub review.

That is a matter of project policy.
It it only uses review as a "can do" thing, then yes, any contributor can push
any patch at any time. Just like they do today.
If it is "should do", then yes, a contributor could consider pushing directly.
Just like they do today.
It it is "must do", then no, the maintainer will revert their patch and remind
them of the policy.

So in the first two cases a patch that would otherwise not have seen any
review got some review.
In the third case it will get two.

> Personally I agree that is the likely scenario. Two-stage
> review is simply too much work and hassle, and I doubt
> it's desirable to anyone who actually wants to use
> GitHub.

Well, the github side review will make the job of the KDE contributor who
brings the patch into KDE a lot easier, because when they put the patch up for
review as "their" contribution, most of the things that the contributor knew
about will already have been fixed.

If the review and integration work turns out to be too annoying, I would
expect these KDE developers to ask their source to do it themselves next time
around.

Having to do the integration work has so far been a great motivator to
eventually ask a regular new contributor to get an account on their own.

With more and more reviewing becoming "mandatory" I don't see that motivation
going down. Quite the opposite.

Cheers,
Kevin
KDE user support, developer mentoring