[kde-community] Write our own pull request bot?

Laszlo Papp lpapp at kde.org
Sat Sep 19 19:04:34 BST 2015

Hi Martin,

On Sat, Sep 19, 2015 at 6:49 PM, Martin Klapetek
<martin.klapetek at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Sat, Sep 19, 2015 at 1:42 PM, Laszlo Papp <lpapp at kde.org> wrote:
>>

>> Sure, but why would increase this situation further on?
>

> Sorry, I don't understand this question.

I missed the subject "we" in that sentence, apparently; I apologise.

What I was trying to say is the fact that you mentioned an existing
unfortunate situation and instead of reducing that as muc as possible,
you seem to put it as an excuse for potentially increasing that
further on. In other words, I would go the other way around: how can
we reduce the personal emails? Perhaps, we need to be more explicit? I
understand and appreciate that it cannot be entirely eliminated, but I
do not think it is wise to argue with them for a suboptimal case.

>> I agree with everything that Sune wrote. Reaching them might be
>> particularly important when changing license just for one of those.
>> There could be numerous other valid examples.
>>
>> Why put energy into making sure that they can diverge from the normal
>> workflow rather than putting energy on making sure that the workflow
>> is known and easy to get?
>

> To get the best of both worlds.

It is not all sweetie and cookie, I believe. It is not a win/win as
the long and many emails show. :)

There are drawbacks coming with that, so you will not necessarily get
the best of both words in my personal opinion, but we may respectfully
agree to disagree in there. That is fine.

>> There used to be life before github, too. This is exactly the vendor
>> lock-in, when some people can no longer breat without it for such
>> simple things.
>

> We wouldn't get no lock-in though. Not even remotely. It will simply
> be another path for an incoming patch. If the patch in question ends
> up on Phabricator and gets reviewed on Phabricator and merged from
> Phabricator, it is no different than the patch initially arriving by email,
> irc/paste etc. Just a different input route.

Yeah, I apologise; I did not mean a lock-in for KDE, but for the
mindset of those "newbie contributors". I will reiterate it once again
in the same email not to skip my point when considering my email: we
ought to put more focus on how to propagate the right infrastructure
rather than putting energy into circumventing that. We do not have
unlimited resources. As some other people already wrote it, I would
hate to explain it all the time, why I do not support the opt-in
feature in my own project. It would get tedious, if not demotivating,
over time.