[kde-community] What is a GitHub pull request exactly?

Eike Hein hein at kde.org
Sat Sep 19 17:32:51 BST 2015

On 09/19/2015 06:22 PM, Martin Graesslin wrote:
> And how do we do that? Can we enforce this technically or will that be
> weakened over the time the same way as we just turned the mirror into "let's
> accept pull requests"?

This wishy-washy stuff is nonsense. The sole argument for enabling
GitHub pull requests essentially boils down to "we have things
to gain from pandering to GitHub's audience that offset all
other costs", so when you limit the experience for that audience
anyway, the argument largely loses its merit. Doing GitHub badly
is worse than not doing GitHub at all.

It's either all-in or all-out. I'd like the pro side to be honest
about that, instead of doing this inching-toward-their-goal stuff.

Ultimately, this is about two conflicts:

* Ideological: Do you believe KDE can maintain its core free
  software philosophy while subjecting itself to the general
  tooling fashion cycle or not?

* Workflow: Do you think the day-to-day work experience will
  be better or worse?

Cheers,
Eike