[kde-community] Bikeshedding - our strength apparently *sigh*

Cornelius Schumacher schumacher at kde.org
Sat Sep 19 15:21:52 BST 2015

On Saturday 19 September 2015 14:12:28 Myriam Schweingruber wrote:

> Some of you wanted the mirror on Github because apparently there are
> developers out there who are too lazy (or too dumb) to learn to use
> new tools. Are those developers we want?

You lost me with that. The attitude that people who don't use our tools are
lazy or dumb feels alien to me. Have a closer look at those people who are out
there. There are tons of great, smart, brilliant people and many of them
actually do use GitHub. The might even have good reasons. Trying to understand
these reasons would help, considering them stupid doesn't.

And yes, we do want those developers. We do need more contributors. We do want
to be open.

We are bringing up freedom in this debate quite a bit, but remember that
freedom is always also the freedom of the others. If somebody else chooses to
use something I don't like I can argue about that, but it's still the other
person's freedom to choose (even if taking the wrong choice). I respect this
freedom, and if somebody sends me a patch written with Windows Notepad I will
still happily accept it (maybe with a friendly hint about some of the better
choices of editors ;-).

> PS. Don't get me started about my use of gmail, please, I am deeply
> ashamed about it and apparently too lazy to change... but I will reuse
> Kmail again as soon as it stops eating my mail every time I filter
> something and when Akonadi stops filling up my hard disk and memory
> and... etc. etc. Promised!)

Now I am amazed...