[kde-community] Official KDE mirror on github

Kevin Krammer krammer at kde.org
Sat Sep 19 15:10:57 BST 2015

On Saturday, 2015-09-19, 12:29:31, Vishesh Handa wrote:
> On Sat, Sep 19, 2015 at 12:09 PM, Ivan Čukić <ivan.cukic at kde.org> wrote:
> > alternatives. Just as they do not have access to my personal inbox
> >
> >> where much corresponse often happens, and patches are discussed.
> >
> > Not sure that this is a statement you want to advertise, since it
> > implies that the development happens behind the closed doors. (yes, we
> > all do that sometimes, but is should not be a part of our workflow,
> > and not something we should be proud of)
> >
> > Now, with GitHub, it would not be exactly 'development behind the
> > closed doors' but for a lot of us it would be basically the same. As
> > Martin mentioned, this would be hidden from his eyes since he has no
> > intention to follow development on GitHub.
>
> Some development does happen behind closed doors. Someone sends me a
> patch, I commit it, and then point them towards reviewboard for the
> next time. Ditto with bugs actually. I get reports via IRC, emails,
> Google+ and even FB (once). If it is minor I act on it, if it isn't I
> point the user towards bugzilla or just file a bug myself so that I
> don't forget.

Right, this is also my understanding of what is proposed.

If you work on a project where you can push without review, it really doesn't
matter how you arrived at the commit, you would have pushed your own version
without review as well.

If you work on a project where you have to go through review, then again, it
really doesn't matter how the commit has been created, it is still being
reviewed.
The only difference is that the submitter of the review request is not the
author of the commit.

Cheers,
Kevin

KDE user support, developer mentoring