[kde-community] Official KDE mirror on github

Vishesh Handa me at vhanda.in
Sat Sep 19 12:09:31 BST 2015

On Sat, Sep 19, 2015 at 1:04 PM, Martin Steigerwald <martin at lichtvoll.de> wrote:
>> > So, if _you_ accept pull requests to a repo in the KDE official mirror,
>> > you
>> > are making decisions for others, and are making other people do things.
>>
>> No I'm not.
>>
>> Boud, you're shipping Krita on Windows. You're uploading them on the
>> KDE official website, you're thereby making me pay for Windows if I
>> want to test it and contribute to the project, you are making
>> decisions for others.
>>
>> Does this argument really hold?
>
> I was not aware that I am forced to use the windows version of Krita. I just
> apt installed it and its just working fine.

I don't follow. In this case of Krita if you wanted to contribute to
the project as a tester or provide some kind of QA, you would need to
use Windows. How does that relate to installing Krita?

> Also it doesn´t lock in any development resources to a specific proprietary
> platform. At least I don´t see how it can do so.

Testing is part of development. If you're offering Krita on Windows,
someone is testing it, creating the binaries, etc.

> So you can argue for github.com: But its opt-in and only for some repos? How
> do you make sure it doesn´t create pressure and expectancy that this will be
> switched on for all the other repos if pull requests are enabled in parts of
> the *official* KDE github.com mirror?
>
> I do not see the Windows version of Krita creating any pressure for people to
> switch to Windows. I certainly do not feel any pressure to do so.

How do you then feel pressured to use Github if most development happens on kde?

> Thus I think its important to compare apples to apples and pears to pears.
>
> Pull requests and probably bug reports on github.com affect the development
> process. Providing a Windows version of Krita does not, despite adding some
> portability to the codebase.

Testing and QA are important parts of creating a product. They most
certainly are part of the "development process". Providing a Windows
version of Krita does force me to install these tools if I wish to
contribute to that part of Krita.

--
Vishesh Handa