[kde-community] Official KDE mirror on github

Martin Steigerwald martin at lichtvoll.de
Sat Sep 19 12:04:05 BST 2015

Am Samstag, 19. September 2015, 11:53:22 CEST schrieb Vishesh Handa:
> > So, if _you_ accept pull requests to a repo in the KDE official mirror,
> > you
> > are making decisions for others, and are making other people do things.
>
> No I'm not.
>
> Boud, you're shipping Krita on Windows. You're uploading them on the
> KDE official website, you're thereby making me pay for Windows if I
> want to test it and contribute to the project, you are making
> decisions for others.
>
> Does this argument really hold?

I was not aware that I am forced to use the windows version of Krita. I just
apt installed it and its just working fine.

Also it doesn´t lock in any development resources to a specific proprietary
platform. At least I don´t see how it can do so.

So you can argue for github.com: But its opt-in and only for some repos? How
do you make sure it doesn´t create pressure and expectancy that this will be
switched on for all the other repos if pull requests are enabled in parts of
the *official* KDE github.com mirror?

I do not see the Windows version of Krita creating any pressure for people to
switch to Windows. I certainly do not feel any pressure to do so.

Thus I think its important to compare apples to apples and pears to pears.

Pull requests and probably bug reports on github.com affect the development
process. Providing a Windows version of Krita does not, despite adding some
portability to the codebase.

Thanks,
--
Martin