[kde-community] Official KDE mirror on github

Boudewijn Rempt boud at valdyas.org
Sat Sep 19 10:40:10 BST 2015

On Sat, 19 Sep 2015, Vishesh Handa wrote:

> On Sat, Sep 19, 2015 at 11:13 AM, Boudewijn Rempt <boud at valdyas.org> wrote:
>> On Sat, 19 Sep 2015, Vishesh Handa wrote:
>>
>>> So if project X which is part of KDE also relies on GitHub, but in no
>>> way recommends it, that will alienate people?
>>

>> That's not the issue: the issue is having our official Github mirror
>> allowing a git-hub based workflow. That should not be possible.
>
> Why?

In the very first place because that is what we agreed upon when setting
up this mirror. In the second place, because we need to show a consistent
face, as a community. In the third place, because by accepting pull requests,
you're putting a load on other people in the KDE community to do so as
well, whether or not they want to.

>> As
>> Ivan said, if a project maintainer is really set on selling their
>> soul, then by all means use a private, personal, not-officially-KDE
>> github thing.
>
> * There is nothing to do with selling your soul.

If _you_ want to use an official KDE thing to promote the use of non-free
software, you're not just "selling your own soul", you're compromising
KDE's message. And so handling github pull requests to KDE's official
mirror's repos instead of telling people to use the proper channels is
breaking up the consistent message we want to convey, and it puts a load
on other people, who don't want to handle those pull requests: they now
have to explain why they are grumpy bastarts who don't do what nice-guy-you
does do.

So, if _you_ accept pull requests to a repo in the KDE official mirror,
you are making decisions for others, and are making other people do things.

> Each of us has
> different goals, and we lie on different edges of the spectrum w.r.t
> Free software. We need all kinds of people.

That's fine, but don't use KDE's external interface to confuse the issue.
We tell the world, this our workflow, this is what we support, this is
why. Don't compromise that message because you want to be a nice, helpful
fellow.

Boudewijn