[kde-community] Official KDE mirror on github

Vishesh Handa me at vhanda.in
Sat Sep 19 10:30:39 BST 2015

On Sat, Sep 19, 2015 at 11:13 AM, Boudewijn Rempt <boud at valdyas.org> wrote:
> On Sat, 19 Sep 2015, Vishesh Handa wrote:
>
>> So if project X which is part of KDE also relies on GitHub, but in no
>> way recommends it, that will alienate people?
>

> That's not the issue: the issue is having our official Github mirror
> allowing a git-hub based workflow. That should not be possible.

Why?

> As
> Ivan said, if a project maintainer is really set on selling their
> soul, then by all means use a private, personal, not-officially-KDE
> github thing.

* There is nothing to do with selling your soul. Each of us has
different goals, and we lie on different edges of the spectrum w.r.t
Free software. We need all kinds of people.

*

> But the KDE message should be totally clear: this is just a mirror.
> It's not the KDE workflow, because KDE is about freedom, not convenience.

Again, if this is really the case then please lets take this to other
logical extreme -

* We're using Coverify - a non free tool
* We're shipping binaries for Windows and Mac - non-free platforms.
Lets tell users KDE is about freedom, please change your OS.
* We are shipping applications on Google Play - Again an non-free platform.
* Some of us have used the Intel Profiler and even occasionally
recommended it for certain projects - Proprietary.
* We accept payments and donations via Paypal - A proprietary
corporation, and maybe the definition of selling your soul will apply
over here.
* SSL certificates? The process certainly isn't an Open one.
* I could go on ..

We have to draw the line somewhere.

--
Vishesh Handa