[kde-community] Official KDE mirror on github

Dominik Haumann dhaumann at kde.org
Mon Aug 24 16:15:32 BST 2015

On Mon, Aug 17, 2015 at 12:57 PM, Rohan Garg <rohan at kde.org> wrote:
> On Mon, Aug 17, 2015 at 7:46 AM, Martin Graesslin <mgraesslin at kde.org> wrote:
>> Hi community,
>>
>> over the last months I observed the following:
>> * people not finding our git repositories
>> * people being surprised that our code is not on github
>> * some projects starting to use github in addition to our own infrastructure
>>
>> Whether we like it or not, github has become a place to look for free software
>> nowadays and if you are not on github your software just doesn't exist. Given
>> that we can say KDE doesn't produce source code because we are not on github.
>>
>> Other projects have an official mirror (see e.g. [1]) which solves the three
>> points I have listed above.
>>
>> I suggest that we:
>> * introduce an official mirror for all KDE repositories on github
>> * replace all existing (non-official) clones
>> * disallow pull-requests on github to not replace our development model by a
>> proprietary platform.
>>
>> Comments?
>
> I support this proposal.

I also propose this. In fact, I once talked to Christoph about having
a mirror for
Kate, then we'd merge pull requests into the KDE Kate.git and it'll get to
github then automatically later. We didn't follow this more, though.

This is *all* about attracting more contributors, so we should do it, with clear
communication that github is just a mirror.

Greetings,
Dominik