[kde-community] Renaming KScreenGenie

Jeremy Whiting jpwhiting at kde.org
Mon Aug 24 14:06:10 BST 2015

Boudhayan,

I agree that renaming kscreengenie to kscreenshot would be a nightmare
for both packagers and sysadmin (and probably even users also tbh).
There's lots of precedence for using a different name when rewriting
(or even overhauling) an application. KTTS -> Jovie when it became all
speech-dispatcher based. KVocTrain -> Parley when it got a fresh coat
of ui paint and lots of bug fixes. Those are only 2 I can think of off
the top of my head. Keeping the KScreengenie name, or using one of the
other non KScreenshot names you have thought of sounds like a great
idea to me. If wanted we can retire KScreenshot to unmaintained (if it
actually is) and KScreengenie can be the default screen capture
application that we ship (or we can ship both and have a user
preference in the "default applications" kcm if both are actually
maintained, etc. At any rate, thanks for developing this replacement.
Sometimes a complete rewrite is the best way to update old code.

BR,
Jeremy