[kde-community] Updating TechBase Getting_Started pages

Alex Merry alex.merry at kde.org
Tue Aug 18 19:43:15 BST 2015

On 2015-08-17 19:19, John Layt wrote:
> On 17 August 2015 at 17:57, Alex Merry <alex.merry at kde.org> wrote:
>
>> The general equivalent of this page is
>> https://community.kde.org/Get_Involved
>> - it gives an overview of the areas you can get involved in, and links
>> pages with more detail about how to get involved in that way.
>>
>> I think it makes a nice jumping-off point, and is good for emphasising
>> that
>> writing code is far from the be-all-and-end-all of KDE.
>>
>> It's very much a community involvement page, though, and techbase
>> needs an
>> equivalent whose selection is more along the lines of "I want to write
>> code
>> /
>> I want to use the Frameworks in my own project / I want to deploy KDE
>> software
>> to 20 000 computers". The "how to build our software" is just one part
>> of
>> that.
>>
>> Co-ordinating the "development" track on the community wiki and the
>> "build /
>> send in patches" track on the techbase wiki is going to take some
>> thought,
>> though.
>
> You mean like https://techbase.kde.org/Contribute? :-) It may help to
> have standard names for these sorts of matching pages.

Not quite. I think techbase's Contribute page I think actually tries to
do the job of community's Get Involved page, but does it significantly
less well. My understanding is that Techbase is aimed at a wider
audience than just KDE developers (including ISVs and sysadmins), and it
could do with a starting point the entire audience - this is neither a
"contribute" nor a "get involved" page. Actually, it could reasonably be
called "Getting Started", but then we'd need to pick a different name
for the current "Getting Started" page (which is really aimed at
developers). Or it could just be the landing page for Techbase.

Alex