[kde-community] kde-community Digest, Vol 25, Issue 4

Boudhayan Gupta me at baloneygeek.com
Sat Apr 18 18:24:06 BST 2015

On 18 April 2015 at 13:27, Martin Gräßlin <mgraesslin at kde.org> wrote:
> With my X11 and Wayland hat on, I can only advice to *not* add it again. I'm
> sorry it won't work on Wayland (doesn't have a concept of SubWindows) and on
> X11 it's hardly used any more. It's a relict from the time before everybody
> used "alien" widgets [1]. Qt 5's xcb backend does not create non-alien widgets
> any more. Sure it's always possible to be extremely hacky and force X11
> windows for your widgets, but that has a huge cost on performance side and on
> portability (such an application won't work on Wayland for example). For
> QtQuick it's obviously completely impossible as there are no widgets any more.

I believe the best course of action would be to not add it. From what
I gather KDE apps (and most if not all generally available Qt apps for
Linux) do not use native WM windows anymore and will not benefit from
this. It's either proprietary applications or apps that are used by
very niche audiences that can benefit from this feature.

If KSG becomes part of Applications, KSnapshot will be dropped (as per
aseigo), but the code will not disappear off the face of the earth.
Anyone who needs such a niche feature can just keep using KSnapshot
(by building it themselves).

Comments?